Tuesday, October 20, 2009

family heirloom...



got a new addition for my head gear.. this 1971 vintage Shoei helmet.. it used to be my dad's helmet when he ride during college in the '70s untill my birth in '82..

he used to owned 2 BMW R27 and a Yamaha XS-650, and really in to goin' fast on a big (in Indonesia, any motorcycle above 150cc was considered big back then) bike.. once he street raced a Suzuki GT380 (if i'm not mistaken) on a late afternoon in Gempol, East Java, when a cyclist crosses the street without looking at the on going traffic.. my dad had to slide his bike trying to stop and avoid the cyclist.. he scrapped the road for about 100 meter while protecting his leg behind the engine guard.. he survived with few scratches on his R27 and few more on this helmet..

after my birth and knowing that he's now a father of a baby boy, he decided to get rid of all his joy and hobby.. his bikes, his riding gear, his trophies and awards from his Karate life.. i guess he didn't wanted his son to be a rebelious biker and could get in to a fight.. but he kept this helmet for a souvenir from his youth days...

but now, i guess oil is thicker than blood.. or was it the other way around..?? well, either way, i'm riding now.. and a proud owner of my Ironhead.. as they say, the apple falls not far from its tree right.. so the helmet now falls not far from my dad's cabinet.. on to my own helmet rack.. thanks a lot dad, gonna polish it reall well...

5 comments:

  1. superkool story..emphasizing on family values

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks bor... gonna polish it and wear it when the helmet design is released... hehehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. great one Riz, it's funny being a dad sometimes, not that i know my dad well, but i guess some men show their every bit of responsibilities in different ways, i for one have never even push any of my sons into liking this biker lifestyle, just let them go with the flow, xcept for my second one, i dont know but my 1:18 scale vintage harley models are getting fewer by the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm... small scale choppin' i guess..?? hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha i guess so, cuz most of em got raked now...

    ReplyDelete